Black Bean & Quinoa Burger RecipeJuly 12, 2016
Warm, bright and long summer days are here! And no sizzling summer is complete without some BBQ, and no BBQ is complete without (at least a dozen) mouthwatering burgers. Weather you are a meat lover, vegan or a vegetarian, everyone loves a good burger. My absolute favorite burger patty is from Trader Joe’s, their (oily and uber-delicious) veggie patty is to die for and I can eat them anyday, everyday. But when it comes to homemade burger patties, my go-to is a freshly made black bean and quinoa patty, it's heart-healthy, loaded with nutrition and uber-delish.
I served these black bean quinoa burger with a side of homemade sweet potato fries (baked) and spicy avocado dip, and needless to say they disappeared in minutes during a game night Friday. I cannot wait to make these again and enjoy them with the hubs on the deck of our new home, while watching countless seaplanes take off from Lake Union.
Serves: 8-10 patties
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
- 1 cup cooked black beans or 1 can store-bought black beans (rinsed and drained)
- ½ cup cooked quinoa
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (or use onion powder)
- ¼ cup bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1-2 jalapeno
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (or use garlic powder)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (optional)
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- Salt (add to taste)
- Pepper (add to taste)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Mash cooked black beans with a fork and set aside.
- Heat a skillet, add a teaspoon of oil, once hot add onion and garlic, after 2 minutes add bell pepper, jalapeno and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add salt, pepper, paprika, cayenne pepper and give it a good mix then turn off the heat.
- To the sauted vegetables, add mashed black beans, cooked quinoa, egg, nutritional yeast, bread crumbs, oil and combine well.
- Shape the mixture into patties (Tip: to make even sized patties, line the lid of a bottle with aluminum foil, stuff the mixture and flip it onto a plate).
- Heat a skillet, spray some oil and cook the patties on both sides until crispy, about 4-5 minutes.
Note: You can also bake the patties in the oven or just freeze for a few hours and grill away.
Once the patty is ready, it’s merely a matter of seconds before you devour the burger - generously spread some avocado dip or ketchup over burger buns, then stack your favorite toppings one on top of the other and enjoy. So what are you waiting for, get grilling ;)
What goes into your burgers?
“Tan lines fade but the memories last forever”.