Spaghetti Squash Bowl | Heart Healthy RecipeDecember 02, 2016
Let me start off by saying that I did NOT make this dish!!! I was only a bystander (whispering instructions) making faces and cringing at my (kitchen-illiterate or that’s what I call him :p) darling husband as he whipped up this delicacy! I say that because I am the one that does all the cooking at home, not that I am complaining since I love to cook (but who doesn’t want to be spoiled every once in a while ;)). Though that’s been slowly changing over the last month as the hubs is trying to make one dish every other weekend (he’s cooked 3 times in little over a month, beating his own record of cooking just as many times in the last 6 years! LOL! Alright alright, I am not supposed to make fun of him :p).
At first he was the one who made faces at me when I suggested that he try using Spaghetti Squash in his dish-of-the-weekend! He thought it would be a long and daunting process, but he slowly warmed up to the idea as I explained how quick and easy it is to make any dish using this delicious veggie. It's also one of the many reasons I love this time of the year - the different kinds of fresh squash we get this season are to die for. Plus, the variety of dishes you can create and make are only unlimited!
Spaghetti squash is one of my favorites (for obvious reasons) and if you are a spaghetti (pasta) fan like me, then this vegetable makes for an excellent healthy alternative! Once cooked, the flesh of this squash can be separated into strands that can fool anyone into thinking that this infact is real spaghetti (and hence the name). This squash is low in fat, calories and carbs, but rich in antioxidants, fiber content and vitamins. It helps lower cholesterol, regulates blood sugar and also reduces risks of cardiovascular diseases.
So let’s quickly see what exactly it is that my hubby prepared with very little instructions from me…
Prep time: 10-15 mins
- 1 medium sized spaghetti squash
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 small tomatoes, chopped
- 3-4 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp garlic powder (optional)
- 1 tsp onion powder (optional)
- 1 cup of fresh spinach, chopped
- A few sprigs of thyme
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Paprika or red chili flakes (optional)
- Grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half, lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. On the cut side of the squash, sprinkle some olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper and thyme.
- Place the squash upside down on a baking sheet and bake for 40-45 minutes or until it is tender (you should be able to easily pierce with a fork).
- In the meantime, heat a saucepan, add a tsp of olive oil, garlic and onions, saute until transparent.
- Add tomatoes, vegetable broth and cook until soft, once done add spinach and stir until wilted. Add salt and pepper to taste. I like it spicy so I sprinkle some paprika or red chili flakes too.
- Add some parmesan cheese, mix well and remove from heat.
- Once the squash is roasted and cooled down, scoop out the strands of the spaghetti squash with a fork. Add it to the prepared sauce and stir to mix.
- Serve this in squash bowls, sprinkled with some parmesan cheese and a few thyme sprigs.
Now, how easy was that!? In the end, I was too darn proud as I tasted the final product, (you see proof, don’t you?). And the hubs hasn’t stopped beaming about how tasty this dish was #fingerlickinggood
Are you a fan of Spaghetti Squash too? If so, what is your favorite dish to make with it, do share, pretty please! :)
“Dive on them and squash them if you must.”