If you are looking for ways to keep your kids engaged while also helping them learn a thing or two without the added screen time then look no further, I have curated a list of 33 best educational podcasts for kids.
Podcasts have quickly gained popularity in recent times, and they are no longer exclusive to only adults. Thanks to the recent turn of events, in the last few weeks I have explored a whole range of podcasts that are informative and available for kids of all ages.
I am a huge podcast junkie myself and this makes me so excited to slowly get our little guy hooked on to podcasts as well (I have already worked my magic (podcast addiction) on his dad ;))
Who knows, maybe the podcasts might even one day inspire your kids to get in front of the microphones, one way or another 😉
- How to stay positive and productive during these unprecedented times
- Coronavirus precautions, do’s, don’ts, and best practices
- 50+ Kids Activities & Ideas, plus more here, here and here
- 100+ Freebie Educational and Entertaining Resources for adults and kids
- Inspiring quotes to overcome stress and keep pushing forward
- How to self-care during the Coronavirus pandemic
- Tips & hacks to increase productivity while working from home
- Tips for working from home with kids at home
Whether you are stuck at home, at a grocery store (a day will come when you can go grocery shopping again with your kids, without worrying about the germs), on a road trip, flying across the country (again, a day will come when we can all buckle our seats and travel again), there is a kids podcast on nearly every topic (from science to stories to history to fiction) to keep your kids entertained.
33 best educational podcasts for kids
1. STORY PIRATES: The #1 Podcast for Kids and Families. The Story Pirates aren’t your typical swashbuckling sailors. They don’t steal gold, pillage villages, or claim land; They’re searching for a different kind of treasure: kids’ wildest, most imaginative stories.
2. BRAINS ON: An award-winning science podcast for kids and curious adults. Co-hosted each week by kid scientists and reporters from public radio, we ask questions and go wherever the answers take us.
3. SESAME STREET: The podcast features the furry and loveable Muppets of Sesame Street. Sing songs with Elmo, Abby, Cookie Monster and Grover. Learn about friendship, patience and sharing with Bert and Ernie.
4. STORYNORY: Storynory brings you an audio story every week. It has it all – fairytales, myths, educational stories and even music and poetry.
5. KIDNUZ: Kids deserve a daily newscast all their own. 5 minutes of timely, unbiased, and age-appropriate stories from politics, entertainment, science, health, and sports curated for kids.
6. CIRCLE ROUND: Circle Round adapts carefully-selected folktales from around. Each 10- to 20-minute episode explores important issues like kindness, persistence, and generosity. Each episode ends with an activity that inspires a deeper conversation between children and grown-ups.
7. DREAM BIG PODCAST: This podcast is all about guiding you to discover, declare, and take action on the big ambitions you have for your life. The framework helps you discover, declare, and realize yours so you can have a fulfilling life and impact the world for good.
8. PEACE OUT: Short stories that help children calm down and relax by guiding them through visualization and breathing exercises. Perfect for parents or teachers who want to teach mindfulness and self-regulation.
9. STORIES PODCAST: Story performance for your children every week. The stories range from retellings of fairy tales like Snow White to classic stories like Peter Rabbit and even completely original works. The perfect kids podcast for imaginative families.
10. SPARE THE ROCK, SPOIL THE CHILD PLAYLISTS: Music that kids will love and parents won’t hate
11. PLANET STORYTIME: A wonderful storytelling, an audio podcast that helps children go inside their minds and into their imagination. The podcast provides an entertaining, educational show with quality storytelling that fires the imagination.
12. NOODLE LOAF: An interactive music-themed podcast for kids created by a music-ed specialist dad to help bring learning and laughter to your downtime with singing, dancing and lots of play.
13. LITTLE STORIES FOR TINY PEOPLE: Each story for children is lovingly written and performed with attention to the whimsical senses of humor children often possess. Perfect for bleary-eyed parents, innovative preschool teachers, and at-wits’-end babysitters looking for an alternative and non-annoying way to engage the toddlers and young kids they love at bedtime or anytime!
14. THE RADIO ADVENTURES OF ELEANOR AMPLIFIED: An adventure series for the whole family. Listen together as the world-famous radio reporter Eleanor foils devious plots and outwits crafty villains, all in pursuit of the big story… It is entertaining and informative.
15. STUFF YOU SHOULD KNOW: Basically HowStuffWorks – if you’ve ever wanted to know about champagne, satanism, the Stonewall Uprising, chaos theory, LSD, El Nino, true crime and Rosa Parks, then look no further. Josh and Chuck have you covered.
16. BE CALM ON AHWAY ISLAND: Original Children’s Stories and Meditations for nap time, bedtime, and any time it’s relaxing time!
17. TUMBLE: Exploring stories of science discovery. Tumble is a science podcast created to be enjoyed by the entire family.
18. BOOK CLUB FOR KIDS: The place where young readers meet to talk about books. The show includes a celebrity reader and an interview with the author.
19. THE PAST & THE CURIOUS: A History Podcast for Kids! They share the stories of Spies, funny foods, George Washington’s foibles, early advancements in cartooning and ballooning and much more!
20. SATURDAY MORNING THEATRE: From the creator of The Radio Adventures of Dr. Floyd comes with a brand new audio drama anthology series that is fun for the whole family! Superhero adventures, westerns, mystery, comedy, this podcast has it all!
21. EAR SNACKS: Ear Snacks is a musical podcast for kids about the world. Andrew & Polly and their friends consider music, science, art and culture in a fun-filled podcast that parents enjoy and younger kids eat right up.
22. THE ALIEN ADVENTURES OF FINN CASPIAN: It is a serialized science-fiction story for kids, told in 15-20 minute episodes. The story centers on Finn Caspian, an 8-year-old boy aboard and the Famous Marlowe 280 Interplanetary Exploratory Space Station as they solve a mystery that threatens to destroy the Marlowe.
23. BUT WHY: A PODCAST FOR CURIOUS KIDS: But Why is a show led by kids. They ask the questions and we find the answers. It’s a big interesting world out there. On But Why, they tackle topics large and small, about nature, words, even the end of the world.
24. WOW IN THE WORLD: The hosts guide curious kids and their grown-ups on a journey into the wonders of the world around them. They go inside the brains, out into space and deep into the coolest new stories in science and technology.
25. SATURDAY MORNING CEREAL BOWL: A weekly two-hour music show for the whole family.
26. WHAT IF WORLD: What if a tiny dragon lived in my closet? What if there were a never-ending bowl of ice cream? What if cats ruled the world? Find wacky stories inspired by your questions!
27. SPARKLE STORIES: They produce original audio stories for families around the world. Each week on the Sparkle Stories Podcast they share a Free Story from one of our Original Story Series!
28. SMASH BOOM BEST: A debate show for kids and families from the makers of the award-winning podcast, Brains On. Every episode takes two cool ideas, smashes them together and lets you decide which is best. Debaters use facts and passion to make their case…teaching listeners how to defend their own opinions along the way.
29. FIVE MINUTES WITH DAD: The podcast stars elementary school kids and their dad. This is the podcast where you get to listen in on a little father-son and daddy-daughter time and learn about great resources to connect with your kids. If you’re looking for family, parenting, or kids activities – or if you’re looking for motivation and ideas on how to spend a little more quality time with your children, this podcast is it.
30. THE TWO PRINCES: Princes Rupert and Amir can’t wait to settle down into happily ever after. But on the eve of their wedding, a powerful sorceress named Malkia invades their kingdom. Driven from their castle, the princes set off on a quest to collect an assortment of magical items that will give them the power to defeat Malkia and save their realm.
31. TED TALKS KIDS & FAMILY: Fun videos to inspire, intrigue and stir kids imagination from some of the world’s leading thinkers and doers onstage at the TED conference, TEDx events and partner events around the world.
32. SIX MINUTES: A new mystery adventure for the whole family.
33. THE BIG LIFE KIDS: Big Life Kids podcast teaches children to stay resilient, believe in themselves, and face life’s challenges with confidence for kids ages 5 to 10. In each episode, Zara and Leo travel the world to discover the living heroes that are making a difference in the world today.
There you have it, 33 best kids educational podcasts. We are slowly but surely making our way through this list.
I truly hope that these podcasts not only help educate your kids but also help you bond as a family and learn together without worrying about the screen time.
“Children must be taught how to think, not what to think.”